• Office 26, Evans Business Centre, Dane Street, Rochdale OL12 6XB
  • 0333 456 4737
  • info@jmha.co.uk
Guide to your Tenancy Agreement


Guide to Tenancy Agreement


A tenancy agreement must be signed prior to moving into the property. This agreement specifies when tenancy starts and how much rent is payable each month (Note: This is a summary guide to the tenancy agreement. For more detailed information, kindly refer to the original tenancy agreement). It is your responsibilty to pay your rent. For tenants in receipt of housing benefit, any changes in your circumstances must be relayed to JMHA immediately; for instance, if you started or stopped from working, or someone moves in or out within the property.


You could end up with rent arrears if you fail to notify JMHA immediately and may face eviction.

As mentioned above, it is your responsibility to pay your rent in full. If your Housing Benefit stops, it is still your responsibility to pay the rent in full.

House and common areas


The house must be used as a main home. You need to inform us in writing regarding who is residing in the property and if someone moves in or out of it. You must ensure to look after the property to prevent any damage to the house.


We have a no pet policy. Written permission from JMHA must be obtained before keeping a pet in a property.

Pets are the responsibility of the owner. Owners must prevent pets from being a nuisance, annoyance, or damage to neighbour's belongings or property. Cleaning up after a dog is the owner's responsibility. JMHA do not allow pets such as dogs and cats in multi-storey properties unless they are a guide dogs.


Respect for others and antisocial behaviour

The behaviour of anyone living in or visiting the property is your responsibility. You and those living with you in the property, and visitors to the property must not cause harassment or do anything antisocial to other people in the neighbourhood, including neighbours and JMHA employees. If you are suffering antisocial behaviour from others, contact JMHA and we will take action and investigate.


We take antisocial behaviour seriously and investigate all complaints received. Upon receiving all the evidence and finding that a said tenant is at fault
or the cause of antisocial complaints after JMHA's investigation, we may take legal action to obtain possession of the property.

You must not suffer in silence. If you are suffering from antisocial behaviour of others, tell JMHA, and we will investigate.

We will not discriminate unfairly against anyone in any way. We have a complaints procedure if yout think we acted wrongly or unfairly.

Repairs, maintenance, improvement & alterations


JMHA will inspect the house and carry out any necessary repairs before your tenancy commences, to make sure it is wind and water tight and fit for habitation. Once you have moved in, JMHA will carry out repairs to the house to keep it in that condition. Please report any required repairs to JMHA. We will keep the structure and exterior of the house and installations for water, gas, electricity, sanitation, heating and hot water well maintained. JMHA will take responsibility for dealing with condensation and dampness if it is due to some extent by features of the house such as ventilation, heating, or insulation. JMHA will not be held responsible if a condition has resulted by tenant's lifestyle or neglect.


We are not responsible for repairing damage caused by you or those who are living within the property or your visitors. If we do repair the damage we will charge you. This does not apply to wear and tear.


If we need to access the property for repairs or to inspect it, we will give you at least twenty-four (24) hours' notice.


JMHA will not compensate for any lost or damages to your personal items or belongings at the property if it is proven we are not at fault. We strongly recommend securing contents insurance to protect your belongings.


Written permission must be obtained before carrying out improvements or alterations to the property. JMHA has the right to charge you for the cost of restoring the house at the end of your tenancy.


You must ensure that you look after the property.


Ending the tenancy

Your tenancy can be ended in the following ways:

  • Giving JMHA 28 days' notice. In cases where it may not be possible to give 28 days' notice, you must notify us as soon as possible of your intention to move.
  • By providing us with a written agreement stating why youhave decided to dissolve your tenancy and when this would take effect.
  • Court order for eviction. JMHA can apply to court to obtain eviction in order to gain access to the property.
  • Abandoning the house. Once you have abandoned the property, this could be treated as you terminating your tenancy.

    You must do the following before moving out of the property:

  • The property should be left clean and tidy and in its original condition when you first moved into the property.
  • Personal possessions and belongings must be removed once leaving the property. Items left on the premises are your responsibility. You must pay for all reasonable removal and/or storage charges. JMHA will remove and store items for a maximum of one month. JMHA will notify you at your last known address. Uncollected items within one month may be disposed of. You will be liable for the reasonable costs of disposal. The costs may be deducted from any sale proceeds (if you owe any money) or the deposit (if any) and if there are any costs remaining they will remain as your liability.
  • Make sure that all people living with you in the property leave with you.
  • Hand in all keys to the JMHA local office.
  • Check with JMHA for outstanding rent payments.
  • Forwarding address must be provided.
  • Leave the house in reasonable order.
  • Repairs that are not JMHA's responsibility should be fixed.
  • Remove any installed fixtures or fittings (if any) without JMHA's written permission and put right any damage caused.
  • Leave behind any key and cards for gas and electric meters.



    If you think we have broken your tenancy agreement, you can complain using our complaints procedure. You can also complain to the Ombudsman and take legal advice.


Tenant Application Form

How to rent?

Housing Benefit